Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Accidents

Well, seems like we've had our share of accidents around here lately! On Monday evening the boys were taking turns pushing each other around on Eliott's ride-on car. It got rather wild, as it had been too cold for them to run their energy off outside that day, and while Jaron pushed with all his might, they crashed into the hearth and sent Eliott face-first into the edge of the hearth. So, add to the bump under the right eye and cut on the lip, a huge egg between his eyes and a nasty bruise heading down across his left eye and his cheek. I took him to the chiropractor yesterday morning, figuring he would need it after so many head thumpers, and sure enough, he was way out of line.

Starting to look better already!
 
Yesterday morning we decided it was more than high time to get the weaner ring in the calf's nose, since we should be adding another calf to the farm in another couple of months. Seeing it was a cold morning, we figured we get less dirty than if we did it in the evening after things had thawed out a bit. We had a royal chase to rope the thing and get the halter on him, then I ran in to check in on the children who were eating breakfast under Jaron's helpful eye while Jere hunted for the weaner ring that had fallen out of his pocket during the chase. Well, I tried to run. A few stems of grass poking up hid a slanting sheet of ice, and I went down pretty hard on my left knee. To my dear, worried, husband's inquiry "Why did you do that?" I answered that I really couldn't help it--I hadn't WANTED to fall! I hobbled to the house, where Jaron was happily managing to get his little siblings to eat breakfast (though some distressed because "Eliott poured water on his cereal!" Which cherub cheerfully replied that it was "Yummy with water."). Then I hobbled back out to the pasture to join the hunt for one missing piece of plastic. Finding it, we applied it to the calf, and I hobbled back to the house while Jere headed across the field to work. Jaron joined his daddy at the shop then, and the two youngest and I went to town to the chiropractor and to do some shopping. As I was loading the groceries into the van, the hitch receiver reached out and clunked me pretty good just below my injured knee. Ok, well, guess I just forgot right where it was and clunked it. However, it seemed no worse for the wear. I was just glad to go to bed last night to not only rest my very sore leg, but to keep it out of harm's way as well.
 
In the middle of the night, I was wakened from a sound sleep by Eliott, as his usual routine is, came to join us in bed and was sent back to his own, an unhappy little fellah. His wails wakened his little sister, and when Jere realized I was waiting on him to go quiet her as he normally does, he confessed his stomach was in knots, and please, could he just stay in bed this time? So I slipped out of bed, snuggled the princess for a bit, then put her back to bed. No sooner had I snuggled under my covers and was about asleep again, than I heard, faintly, "Mommy! Mommy! MOMMY!" from the other end of the house. Fearing the stomach flu was striking, I flew out of bed, only to find that the night wanderer had had to go potty, and somehow in the process had managed to miss the pot and get his jammies and undies and socks and the toilet seat. Soooo... Get him dressed in clean clothes, clean up the mess, and go back to bed. Ahhh. I thought. Till very shortly Jere vaulted out of bed and ran to the toilet himself. From then on, every time I was about falling asleep, the sound of his distress came floating back and I found myself rigidly awake, making sure that he was, in fact, fast asleep beside me, my stomach felt fine, and I heard no such sounds from the children's rooms. Then I would try to find a comfortable position, only to be stymied by one very, very sore knee. It was a relief to see morning show up!
 
Today has been going wonderfully--so far!! :-) With getting up earlier than normal, things got done in good time. Jaron had ALL his school finished before lunch, which always makes him very happy, as then he can walk across the field WITH Daddy once Jere heads back to work after his lunch break, instead of half an hour later or so, whenever he gets done. Jaron also had washed the dishes and made his bed before school! The sun is shining, it's thinking about maybe getting a little warm today, and I need to head out to hang out the load of heavy winter coats I just washed this morning. Hope you have a blessed day today, and that the little accidents of life stay away from your door!

No comments:

Post a Comment