Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

The second phase of our camping trip--Michigan's U. P.

After leaving the island and canoeing through the rain to get back to the landing, we had a decision to make. Do we keep going, as we weren't far from the U. P. where Jere had told me he wanted to take me back when we were newly married or do we get scared off with the rain predicted and go home? We decided to push on, and are SO glad we did! It did rain a little at the campsite in the evening and through the night, but then it was so bright and sunny and beautiful till we left Monday morning. It was a little bit of culture shock, though, to leave a remote campsite in the wilderness and show up at a snazzy state park where everyone had these big fancy campers and stared when they saw us actually cooking over the fire! :-) But we just enjoyed ourselves and let them think whatever thay wanted to.


We were right on the shore of Lake Superior!


Our campsite after the rain tarp was taken down.


WHAT in the WORLD?!!!
(PS It's mounted, not alive.)

Sunday evening after a hike we went down to the water's edge to watch the sunset. It was lovely!

And this is one of the last pictures from our camera. . . After shooting the sunset I went to open a pack of those glow in the dark sticks for the boys to carry on our way back to camp. One of them had broken open in the package and whatever liquid they use in them spilled out right onto my skirt and camera sitting in my lap before I even realized anything was up. The camera was left in the truck then, and I didn't notice till today when I went to take a picture of three big turkeys standing on our driveway looking at our cat that that despite carefully wiping all the liquid I could from the camera when the accident happened, it evidently got inside somehow and quite effectively glued the lens shut. So I'm in a bit of panic now, without any camera at all! And anyone who knows what a shutterbug I am knows that would be a VERY sad situation. So now, what to do about that? This camera was supposed to last at least 5 more years!

No comments:

Post a Comment