Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Culinary exploits

Have you ever heard of grilled flatbread? I saw a recipe for it in a magazine we just got, and HAD to try it! It didn't quite turn out like the pictures--of course--but wow, the flavor was outstanding! It was SOOO good! Even today, now that it's cold, it's still good. But next time I think I won't cook them all at once--I'll stick the extra dough in the fridge for the next day. 8 12" breads was WAY too much--I think we ate all of 2! But then, I had one for breakfast, and we'll eat them as sandwiches for lunch. Anyway, last night I did almost everything we ate on the grill. Ham steak (locally grown and smoked), fresh corn on the cob right out of the garden, flatbread, and fresh blueberry pie. YUM! I think we all overate to one degree or another!


Basic Grilled Flatbread
1 t yeast
1 T honey
2 c warm water
1 T baking powder
2 t salt
1/2 c plain yogurt (I used home-made sour cream that didn't turn out real well!)
5 c unbleached flour
Oil

Stir yeast and honey into warm water and let sit for 5 minutes till it starts to foam. Pour water into the bowl of a heavy mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add BP, salt, and yogurt. Turn on the machine to med. (I would imagine you could do it by hand too, but the dough is SUPER sticky and my Kitchen Aid really did a good job.) Gradulally add the flour. Knead with a dough hook 5 min., until the dough is smooth and elastic. Grease or flour a section of the counter and turn the blob of dough out onto it. Grease the bowl and return the dough to it, turning to coat with oil. (I found it easier to pour a little more oil on top once it was in the bowl and spread it around with my fingers as the dough is so soft and sticky.) Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest in a warm place till double in size, about 2 hours. When ready to grill, preheat a gas grill on medium for 10 min with the lid down, or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire (red coals covered with gray ash). (We have a gas grill, but I think they would have turned out nicer over charcoal or wood--as most things do!) While the grill is heating, divide the dough into 8 pieces. (Ideally, set up a work space or table right by the grill--almost a necessity, and something I'll actually make an effort to do next time as they tended to burn while I was inside rolling out the next one!) On a (well) floured surface, pat a piece of dough into a circle, then use a roling pin to roll it into an even round 10-12" in diameter. (It seemed like the ones I rolled out a little on the smaller side and thus thicker turned out better--make sure it's an even thickness!) Spritz or brush one side lightly with oil and put it on the grill, oiled side down, over low direct heat until lightly browned and puffy, but not burned, 1-2 min. Flip the flatbread and cook it 30 sec-1 min ore, until brown spots appear. Remove to a platter and repeat with remainder. (I covered the finished ones with a cloth to keep them warmer.) These are EVER so yummy with just a little butter spread on them! Or I actually liked them quite well without anything else too.

No comments:

Post a Comment