Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

Spring? At last?

Well, I think spring is finally starting to think about arriving! And we're loving it! It seemed like things were finally starting to dry out a bit, and I was SO glad the muddy part was about over... or so we thought. Then it rained, and rained, and then snowed. Um, this is spring for you in Wisconsin! So we looked out at our yard, where the mud was washing down onto the driveway, and I couldn't help but sigh. Now the muddies are worse than ever! That was the previous weekend. Through the week it dried up again a little bit, and warmed up enough that some of us went outside in short sleeves, and barefoot for a bit! And I encouraged Jere to work at cleaning up a little in the yard so it doesn't look so much like we live at the local scrap heap, instead of on some of the other inside projects. While pushing some mud around to try get rid of a few of the riverbeds the rain had washed into our yard, Jere found a spring on our property, bubbling up not too far from the house. Which clinched our suspicions through the winter that all was not well with our water pipes to the house. So, he started digging, and digging, and digging. I didn't get any pictures, as I was up to my ears in other projects, and now I wish I had! He dug down to where the water was coming from, and sure enough, where he had connected to water supply to bring it into the new house, the ground had settled and pulled the pipes apart. So late Friday evening all of our water was turned off, and didn't come back on till he had run to town Saturday morning to buy another fitting and more pipe. Even though that wasn't what he wanted to do that day, we're glad he was able to get it fixed!

It rained again this last weekend, so any drying up that happened is now back to mud soup. But, the grass really greened up yesterday! It was so nice to see GREEN on our way to church! Even our in our pasture things are looking greener. I can hardly wait till the grass is tall enough to turn the cows out and see them fatten up after our hard winter. There's green in the basement as well, where all my little seedlings, waiting for it to warm up enough to go outside, are growing happily. I'm anxiously keeping an eye on our new garden spot, waiting for it to dry up enough to plow, and till, so I can get my peas and carrots planted. Somehow it doesn't look very promising yet, and I have a feeling we will have a late garden this year. Oh well! Not like I don't have plenty to do in the meantime...

The children are LOVING the sunshine and warmer weather! The boys went with Jere to help a friend on Saturday, and spent pretty well the whole day outside in the sun and wind. They came home sunburned and windburned and looking like lobsters. But they had loads of fun anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment